Bar & Table Top Epoxy Use and Care Guide
We highly recommend testing on a sample piece before beginning your final project!
- Mix and Measure Buckets
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Power Drill and Mixing Sticks
- Molds for casting or framing to contain the epoxy
- Spreader, Brush, Butane Torch or Heat Gun
Incomplete and incorrect mixing are the most common causes of poor results, leaving uncured, tacky areas on your project. For best results, mix in one bucket then pour mixture into second bucket and very thoroughly mix again before pouring.
Directions For Use:
- The ideal working temperature is around 77°F. Best results can be obtained at temperatures between 70°F and 85°F, in a clean, dry, dust-free environment. Avoid working in high humidity. We recommend using this product on a leveled and flat work surface.
- Using the Coverage Chart, measure product in accordance with your intended use. Prepare 1 part Resin A to 1 part Hardener B by liquid volume — not by weight. Pour the Hardener B first and then the Resin A into a clean, smoothsided container large enough to hold all the liquid and allow room for mixing. Add colorant(s) at this time if desired.
- The material must be mixed thoroughly for at least 3 minutes. Be sure to scrape the container sides, bottom, and corners as you mix. Be careful to not whip excessive air into the mixture. If mixing a gallon or more, use a power drill set to low speed. For smaller quantities, use stir sticks.
- Pour the mixed resin onto the surface and distribute evenly with a notched trowel, squeegee or gloved hand. Brush or roll the sides and edges of the table top and continue to pour remaining material to achieve the desired thickness. Push and drizzle the resin over the project’s sides to flow evenly for a smooth edge.
- See Additional Information for guidance to help eliminate bubbles that have risen to the surface of the resin.
- For additional thickness pours, the first pour should still be lightly sticky. On consecutive pours, bubbles may once again need to be removed. Material will feel hard after 48 hours, light usage requires up to 7 days cure, and a full cure in 30 days depending upon the temperature.
SEAL COAT: Most wood will take the epoxy well however, many types of wood (especially live-edges) require a seal coat to prevent air bubbles from rising out and ruining the surface or edge. Older, more porous pieces of wood may contain both air and moisture that can contaminate the epoxy. We recommend first painting on a thin seal coat of epoxy allowing that to set before pouring the final layer. WiseBond™ DEEP Pour™ Epoxy or Quick Dry Epoxy works well.
- This product will work well with wood, glass, ceramic, stone aggregate, cement, electronic parts and most metals. Do not use over an oil-based stain.
- WiseBond™ Bar & Table Top Epoxy should be thin pours of no more than 1/4 inch.
- To remove air bubbles that have risen to the surface of the poured epoxy: quickly swipe a butane torch or a heat gun over the epoxy surface. Avoid heating any one spot for too long so as to prevent any distortions in the finished product.
- If you wish to apply paper decals or other objects under the WiseBond™ Bar & Table Top Epoxy surface, those objects need to be sealed and bonded to the surface with epoxy or craft glue.
- If a second coat of WiseBond™ Bar & Table Top Epoxy is required, apply while the first coat is still lightly sticky. If the first coat has fully hardened, a light sanding is suggested before the recoat to allow the second coat to bond with the first coat.
- One of the best things about this product is the ease with which it can be re-coated after a period of time. Even a well-worn, scratched surface can be lightly sanded and recoated with fresh material to be returned to its original luster.
- This product has excellent UV resistance, but all epoxy products will eventually begin to yellow under sunlight. This includes the curing agent side resin, as well as the finished cured products.
- Clean Up Procedure: Tools can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol 99%, or a residue-free cleaner. Do not use soap and water.
Coverage Volume Based on 1/8" Thick Pour:
Use the Coverage Table to determine the volume of mixed resin you will need. Coverage is 12 sq.ft. at 1/8" thick per combined gallon. These epoxy calculations are either/or for the table seal coat and larger flood coat. Example: 1-gallon of epoxy will cover either 12 sq.ft. for a flood coat or 36 sq.ft. for a seal coat, not both. Remember that this is not an exact science, as the amount of resin allowed to run off the project will vary by user. It is always better to mix too much rather than too little resin to ensure completion of your project.
|Coverage below is 1/8" thick
- Do not expose the product to direct sunlight.
- Keep container closed to prevent contamination.
- May cause eye and skin irritation. Use this product only in a well-ventilated area with protective gloves and eye protection.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke when using this product.
- When mixed together in mass this material can generate excessive heat, handle with caution.
- Dispose of containers and contents in accordance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations.
(Refer to SDS for detailed safety information)
NOTE: Bar & Table Top Epoxy is VOC-Free. We do not have FDA approval certifying direct, long-term contact with food, however once epoxy is fully cured for 30 days, it is an inert plastic and should be fine for incidental exposure to food. It is not antimicrobial. Epoxy is not safe to ingest (liquid or cured). Do not cut on or prepare raw food on epoxy surfaces.
This information is provided in good faith and correct to the best of our knowledge and should be verified by the end user, as is the suitability of the material for their application. No warranty, guarantee, or representation is made as to the sufficiency of the information for the safe use of the product, nor to relieve the end user of any Federal, State, or Local regulatory responsibility. The Limited Warranty of this material shall be limited to the replacement of defective material.
At WiseBond™, (A division of DeckWise®, The Ipe Clip® Fastener Company, LLC, we are dedicated to providing our customers with the tools necessary for success. From custom product development to exceptional technical and customer service. Order online anytime at www.WiseBond.com or contact us with any questions at 1-866-427-2547.